Ecommerce is a huge business today, as the internet has eliminated national borders and thrown open large, hitherto inaccessible markets to sellers everywhere.
Marketing Research firm IPSOS recently unearthed the following data about how consumers in the US were buying online from ecommerce companies outside the US:
- A whopping three-quarters of US residents (77%, actually) showed a willingness to buy from online sites not based in the US. (Also, men were slightly more likely (44%) than women (40%), and younger consumers (<45 years) were more likely than older ones to buy from online sites abroad.)
- Online buyers preferred English-speaking countries such as Canada (72%), the UK (68%) and Australia (52%) for buying online. (Other popular countries were France (46%), Germany (46%), Italy (46%), Japan (43%), Sweden (39%), Spain (33%) and China (31%).)
- The two main reasons for preferring to buy from other countries was the availability of unique, uncommon merchandise as well as more competitive prices.
- The key obstacles that prevent customers from buying from foreign websites more often were distrust about online payments, concerns of shipment delays, and hidden costs.
What does this mean for your ecommerce venture?
All this competition from across borders might sound like threats to home-grown ecommerce businesses. But, if you view it objectively and are prepared to make a few changes in your business strategy, you can benefit immensely from the opportunities out there.
Email Marketing to the rescue:
Whenever a potential buyer logs in online, businesses have the opportunity to approach him with relevant and timely messages about their products, based on data gathered from his earlier online behaviour. While this sounds easy enough, usually this approach isn’t followed to a T, mainly because of a lack of knowhow, time and resources.
This is where email marketing automation comes in.
How it helps:
- Making the process quick and efficient: Marketing automation software can develop highly customized email marketing campaigns that serve to drive customer engagement and revenue in a fast and resource-efficient manner.
- Multi-channel engagement of the customer: Marketing automation software can also help deliver targeted messages on social media, mobile and other channels. The tools of email marketing empower you with the ability to quickly devise, implement and track a marketing campaign across various channels.
- Continuing engagement: Email marketing, through reminders, incentives and loyalty rewards, turns infrequent shoppers or ‘cart abandoners’ into regular shoppers. Data-driven messages serve to prompt the customer into making further purchases.
- Creating a valuable database: The foundation of effective marketing is abundant data. With the help of marketing automation, you can create a repository of detailed and segmented database, which can be used in campaigns for revenue generation.
- Making it mobile-friendly: Today, more users of the internet access it on their smart phones than on their desktop devices. Hence, it is important to address them through messages and emails that are optimized for mobile screens.
Sixred is a certified partner of Bronto software and services. If you want to offer your customers a unified and satisfactory shopping experience across multiple portals (in store, online, POS), contact us today! Talk to one of our experts today and learn how to meet and exceed the revenue generation goals for your ecommerce enterprise.